Sunday, November 22, 2009

"The Discovery" (Story I wrote in either Middle or High School)


It was probably the hottest day of summer; the sun was forcing its rays on the citizens of West Palm Beach, Florida. I was five and like most children in my neighborhood, I would never pass up the opportunity to play outside. This particular day, I had decided to ride my tricycle up and down the road. I would coast down the gently sloping hill about three houses down to Mr. Davis, who was sitting on his porch as usual, then turn as sharply as I could and pedal vigorously back up the hill. This continued for awhile until one time I made it down the hill and did not see Mr. Davis. I hopped off my tricycle and peered over his hedges and discovered Mr. Davis lying on the ground motionless.

My heart skipped about 50 beats. I sprinted to my tricycle and pedaled up the hill back home. The ride back was excruciating. What usually took me about fifteen seconds, seemed to take hours. By the time I got home I was gasping for air and drenched in sweat. I tore open the screen door and found my mom making dinner in the kitchen and, in what I thought was a calm voice, shouted,

“Mr. Davis is dead! He’s laying on his porch!”

That was all I needed to say. My dad bolted out of the door to investigate while my mom stayed with me to calm me down, though it became impossible once I heard the blaring of an ambulance siren.

Fifteen minutes later my dad entered the house looking much calmer than I had expected. He explained to me that Mr. Davis had had a seizure (and what a seizure was) and that he was okay. I took his explanation as it was and didn’t bother questioning any further. I was just relieved that he was going to be okay. But this was not the truth.

He hadn’t died. Nor had he had a seizure like they told me. When I was in the sixth grade they figured I was old enough to know what had really happened. Mr. Davis had passed out because he was drunk. This is one of my most vivid memories from my childhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment